Regular visits to a dentist are an important way to keep a bright, white and vibrant smile. However, there are things that each person can do on their own to help maintain and improve their smile. Dr. Everardo Ramirez is an expert dentist based in Kitchener, Ontario. He offers the following tips to help people put forward a dazzling smile:
• Use a soft to medium bristle toothbrush
• Position the brush at a 45 degree angle where your gums and teeth meet. Gently move the brush in a circular motion several times using small, gentle strokes brushing the outside surfaces of your teeth.
• Never brush too hard
• To clean the inside surfaces of the upper and lower front teeth, hold the brush vertically. Make several gentle back-and-forth strokes over each tooth.
• Don’t forget to gently brush the surrounding gum tissue.
• Flossing is extremely important to prevent periodontal disease.
• Rinse once completed with water or mouth wash
New high tech tooth brushes are on the market to help patients with their dental care. Automatic tooth brushes are safe and effective. Oral irrigators will rinse your mouth thoroughly, but will not remove plaque. People should brush and floss in conjunction with the use of an irrigator.